September 9, 2017
Sup fellow writing Ninjas!
Today I want to talk about the most evil thing in my life that I think holds me back more than anything else. Do you have any guesses as to what that is? It is, in my opinion, a writer’s Achilles Heel.
Procrastination, my friends, the menacing P word.
If I was to be Queen of anything, it would be putting things off (literally any of the things) for an obscene amount of time in favour of spending said time doing less important things. Today, for example, I took everything out from under my kitchen sink and performed a meticulous scrubbing of the cupboard. It now smells like bleach and cinnamon apple, which is great, but my manuscript was pushed aside to achieve the aroma.
I am skilled at finding many other things to do instead of writing, such as:
- Netflix. Netflix is the devil. Fuck you Netflix. But not really. Because DareDevil, and Stranger Things, and Troll Hunters, and all the other wonderful shows you have given the world.
- Pinterest. ‘Nuff said.
- Journaling and all other activities related to using a pen and paper. I love making lists and organizing my calendar more than I like completing the items I write down.
- Youtube. I just… UGH. So many things to learn and watch and consume. Make-up tutorials, travel diaries, writer’s vlogs (shout out to Jenna Moreci who educated me through her vlogs more than one year at Simon Fraser University did), Comic Con panels… it’s just a vortex of joy that is so easy to get sucked into. You feel me?
- Cleaning in general. When I’m feeling overwhelmed about my writing I tend to fixate on making sure my house is spotless. Like, seriously, fucking spotless. I will magic eraser my walls and baseboards… I’m that kind of crazy.
- Did I say Pinterest already?
- Spending time with family and friends. This one is worth it to me. One luxury of being a writer and working from home full time is that I choose how
- I want to delegate the hours of my day. I can go out for lunch with a couple of girlfriends. I can go for a walk and grab a Starbucks coffee with my mom every Friday morning. I can spend half my day collaborating on other projects, like the ‘What’s Ur Fave?’ Podcast that was just released on Monday, September 4th. Check it out- my friend Kristi and I swap travel stories and I share one of my most embarrassing moments to date with her- for everyone to hear. It is available on Google Play! Stay tuned for our other segment ‘Hey, let’s Watch it’, coming Fall 2017! We discuss themes in film, fangirl over our favourite shows and movies, and swap opinions on plots, subplots, characters- you know, all that good shit!
- Don’t judge me… my cats. My cats are so damn cute I just can’t not cuddle them for a minimum of an hour a day. Wick and Nova. By the way, fun fact about me, I hate cats. Always have. How I ended up with two of them I have no fucking idea.
- My husband. You can’t blame me for this one. He is the one person I want to spend almost every minute of my time with. If I’m not writing, I want to talk to him about what projects I’m currently working on. If I can’t see my way out of a plot hole, I’ll talk to him and we will bounce ideas around together until we find a solution. He is bomb as hell and he will always come first for me. So technically, he shouldn’t fall under the procrastination column.
- Last, but definitely not least, sleeping. You know how it is. My bed is my happy place. I never want to leave it. Like, ever. Jenna Moreci mentioned this gold tip in one of her Youtube vlogs: write in bed, or where you’re most comfortable. After a little research I discovered that writing in bed can actually be really productive for people. I think I’ll give it a shot. On Monday. Because the weekend is here and I have 48 hours ahead of me to put off writing. Hehe.
Thank you for reading you lovely humans! If you’re guilty of procrastinating, shoot me an email and let me know what you spend most of your time doing. I’d love to hear from you!
PS. If you have any tips on productivity, send those my way too. Your girl will be grateful!